Updated: Sep 5, 2020
When in doubt, fill your body with GREEN. We know veggies are good for fibre and many important nutrients, but did you also know that they’re a great source of dietary calcium? This was my first time making fresh rolls and we absolutely loved them. Such a fun and easy appetizer to make when you have lots of veggies in the fridge and you’re short on time!
What you'll need:
For the fresh rolls:
•2 ounces cooked vermicelli rice noodles
•1 tsp sesame oil
•1/4 tsp salt
•1 cup butter lettuce (torn)
•2 carrots (peeled and cut into matchsticks)
•2 mini cucumbers (cut into matchsticks)
•2 jalapeños (seeds removed and thinly sliced)
•1/4 cup green onions (thinly sliced)
•1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
•8 sheets of spring roll wrappers
For the sauce:
•1/3 cup natural peanut butter
•2 tbsp rice vinegar
•2 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
•2 tbsp honey
•1 tbsp sesame oil
•2 cloves garlic (minced)
What you'll need to do:
1. Mix the cooked noodles with sesame oil and salt. Set aside.
2. Fill a round shallow pan with an inch of water. Lay out a tea towel beside the pan and have your toppings close by. Place one spring roll wrapper in the water for about 20 seconds until it softens. Remove from water and place on towel.
3. On the closer side of the wrapper, add the lettuce, noddles and veggies. Top with the cilantro and green onions.
4. Fold the lower edge over the filling and fold in the shorter sides (like wrapping a burrito). Roll up the fresh roll and place aside.
5. Continue with the remaining spring roll wrappers and filling.
6. To make the sauce, whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Gradually add water if needed to thin out the sauce.