Updated: Sep 5, 2020
I’ve been seeing all the quarantine banana breads going around and although banana bread is a go-to snack for me, I wanted to change it up. And I’m happy I did! These are a TREAT and I will be making these for Mother’s Day for sure. They’re pillowy and soft and have chunks of banana in the filling 🍌
Makes 10-12 buns.
What you'll need:
For the dough:
•1 cup unsweetened almond milk
•3 tbsp butter/vegan butter
•1 pack of instant yeast
•1 tbsp coconut sugar
•1/4 tsp salt
•1/2 cup ripe banana (mashed)
•3 cups all-purpose flour (plus extra)
For the filling:
•1/4 cup butter/vegan butter
•1/3 cup coconut sugar
•1 tbsp cinnamon
•15-20 thin banana slices
•1/3 cup pecans (chopped)
What you'll need to do:
1. Heat almond milk and butter in microwave until warm and melted. Do not overheat as you will kill the yeast! Pour into a large mixing bowl.
2. Sprinkle yeast and let activate for 10 minutes. Next, add sugar and salt and stir. Add in mashed banana.
3. Add in flour gradually. If 3 cups of flour yields a sticky dough, add more flour until you can form a ball of dough that is formed but springy.
4. Coat a large bowl with oil and add dough. Cover with a damp towel and leave in a warm spot for 40 minutes to rise.
5. Roll out dough on a floured surface so that it is 1/4” thick. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Place the banana slices and pecans evenly.
6. Tightly roll up the dough with the seam side down. Using a serrated knife, carefully cut into 10-12 buns and place in a greased 8x8 baking dish.
7. Cover with damp towel and place on top of oven as you are preheating to 350F.
8. Bake for 30 minutes or until slightly browned. Let cool and then frost with your favourite frosting recipe. I eyeballed powdered sugar, almond milk and vanilla for this frosting!