As much as I love being in the kitchen, some days you just need quick and convenient food. I got a bunch of requests for a falafel recipe and when I looked up homemade falafel recipe online, they all seemed very complicated and daunting. They started with soaking the dried chickpeas for 24 hours and progressed to refrigeration of the raw mixture overnight. I DON’T HAVE TIME FOR THAT!
Here’s a 5 minute falafel recipe with clean ingredients and minimal prep that I paired with a simple cucumber and tomato chopped salad. I’ll be making this for lunch on REPEAT!
What you'll need:
• 1 cup Casbah Falafel Mix
• 1/2 cup cold water
• Enough coconut oil to fill the bottom of a medium frying pan
• 1/2 English cucumber
• 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
• 2 tbsp of your favourite hummus
• Salt & pepper to taste
What you'll need to do:
1. Mix together the falafel mix and water and let stand for 10 minutes. Heat coconut oil in frying pan until it is very hot.
2. In the meantime, chop cucumber and tomatoes. Spread hummus on a plate and place veggies on top.
3. Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop falafel mix into hot oil and fry for 2 minutes per side or until falafels are browned and crispy. You may need to fry these up in batches to not crowd the pan.
4. Remove from pan and let cool on paper towel. Place on top of salad, season with S&P and enjoy!